BB cream, also called blemish balm or beauty balm, has seen a remarkable surge in popularity over the last few years. Originally designed by a German dermatologist back in 1967 to help cover, protect, and hydrate damaged skin, BB creams are now used as a multi-functional facial beauty style product by people all over the world. BB (and cc cream) creams are seen as such a beneficial product for the face that nearly every major beauty brand has a BB cream on its roster today.
These are some of the most frequently asked questions about BB cream.
Is BB cream good for your face?
There are many benefits of the BB cream (and cc cream) that make it a good choice for a beauty style product. The biggest benefit is that it functions as many different beauty products contained in a single tube. The best BB cream is as a skin treatment, a moisturizer, SPF protection, a foundation, and a concealer. Buying and using each of those items individually would cost way more money and take way more time.
Another reason why the BB cream is good (or even better) for your face is how light it is. The product is lightweight enough to apply with your fingers and is lightly tinted to provide the natural look and style while minimizing the appearance of blemishes and large pores. If more coverage is needed, BB cream can act as a primer beneath a heavier foundation.
BB (cream) can be found in a wide variety of shades, coverage levels, and the finishes. BB (cream) can be used alone for a dewy look or combined with a finishing powder for more of a matte look (also depending on your coverage). It also comes in a range of SPF levels, allowing you to choose how much protection you need from the sun and harmful UV rays.
Why is New BB cream good to use on your face?
The complex components that make up most BB creams are chock full of hydrating and anti-aging beauty ingredients that help repair and improve the skin of your face. In addition to UV-blocking SPF protection, moisturizing components relieve dryness and reduce irritation while anti-oxidants improve your natural skin elasticity and brightness. Many BB creams also contain wrinkle-reducing agents, acne-fighting components, and natural skin-plumping ingredients.
What does BB cream do to your face exactly to get better skin?
These creams contain a cocktail of beneficial beauty ingredients that help your skincare routine, which may include:
- zinc oxide - prevents dryness and protects skin from damaging UV rays
- titanium dioxide - blocks absorption of UV rays, reducing risk of sunburn and skin cancer
- hyaluronic acid - helps your skin retain moisture, plumping skin and reducing fine lines and wrinkles
- glycerin - increases skin hydration to relieve dryness and softens skin
- aloe - has anti-inflammatory, anti-aging, and moisturizing properties
- Vitamin A - boosts your skin health with hydrating and antimicrobial properties
- Vitamin C - protects your skin cells from UV exposure and evens out (red color) skin tone by reducing brown spots and hyperpigmentation
- Vitamin E - moisturizes your skin to reduce dryness and works to minimize the appearance of scars, fine lines, and wrinkles
- Peptides - helps improve your skin elasticity, reduce wrinkles, and clear breakouts
- arbutin - fades acne scars, sun spots, age spots, and hyperpigmentation on your skin
- mica - reflects light to give your skin a smoother, softer appearance
- dimethicone - creates a barrier that helps retains moisture and improve smoothness on your skin
- panthenol - attracts and retains moisture to hydrate skin from the inside
- ceramides -locks moisture in to prevent dryness and irritation
- niacinamide - reduces inflammation from eczema and acne while minimizing pore appearance
- licorice root - evens out the tone (color) and lightens age spots for younger looking skin
- hydrolyzed collagen - strengthens skin by improving elasticity and increasing hydration
Are BB creams right for every face/skin tone?
The wide variety of BB (cream) available means that there are creams sold for every type of facial skin. The label of the product will specify exact what type of skin that particular product is good for and what benefits the product holds for that type of skin (and what kind of coverage it has). Whether your face is oily, dry, acne-prone, or aging, there is a BB cream with the right coverage out there that is the right fit for you.
Oily skin and cream
The BB (cream) with humectants are good for oily facial skin. Oil control ingredients like kaolin clay absorb excess oil for all day shine control while still ensuring that the skin gets proper hydration. A water-based formula is best for those with oily skin.
Dry skin and cream
The BB creams can provide a lot of moisture for dry skin and help repair skin that is damaged. Hypoallergenic formulas will help avoid irritation while smoothing out your skin tone.
Acne-prone skin and cream
BB creams are a great way to hide blemishes with a lightweight product. Being lighter than foundation allows the skin to breath and reduces the risk of clogged pores with this cream. BB creams for acne-prone skin also contain soothing minerals to reduce irritation and inflammation. This way your beauty and cream will shine through no matter what!
Aging skin and cream
The beauty cream formulations designed for aging skin contain ingredients that make the you appear smoother with a more even tone. Aging skin can be delicate, so the lighter consistency of a BB cream can be much better for the skin than the heavier foundation. These creams also contain skin-plumping agents like collagen and brightening agents like mica to give the face a more youthful look.
Are there any side effects to using your BB (cream)?
The different types of BB (cream) have different properties, so you should read the packaging of the cream thoroughly to make sure that you understand what the product (cream) does and what coverage it has before purchasing. Some common side effects associated with using BB (cream) include:
- Skin lightening - Choosing a product (cream) designed for skin lightening when you dont intend to can result in skin that is pale and ashy.
- Skin Breakouts - Even though BB creams are lightweight, they can still clog your pores if it isnt washed off every evening.
- Skin Irritation - Skin that is sensitive or prone to acne can become irritated if your BB cream is chosen that isnt designed for that type of skin.
- Excessive dryness of skin - BB (cream) that contain alcohol products or oil control features can exacerbate dryness, causing discomfort and sensitivity.
- Allergic reactions to skin - In some cases, an ingredient can cause a mild to severe allergic reaction in certain people (on their skin). If this occurs, stop using the product immediately, wash your face thoroughly, and seek medical attention if necessary.
Overall, the benefits of your BB cream (and how they turn everyone into a natural beauty) are: easy to use and give you the benefits of multiple products, saving you time and money. These products are designed to improve your skin tone and smooth out your complexion while increasing hydration and preventing acne (all with the right coverage). There are many different types of BB (cream) available to choose from, so pick one that fits the needs of your specific skin type.
Further reading material for people who want to know more about bb (cream).
I hope that you liked the article and that you learned a lot! If you want to know more of BB creams and their coverage and simplicity in beauty, simply click on one of the links below and start reading about your favorite subject!
How to Touch Up your BB Cream?
Do You Use Your BB Cream Instead of Foundation?
Can I Use Your BB Cream Under My Eyes?