Here is a simple guide on what to do with curly hair underneath but straight at the top. Read on to find out if it is normal to have both curly and straight hair simultaneously.
Generally, there is no denying the uniqueness and beauty of curly hair. Today, many people embrace their natural curls, leading to the global trend of natural curly locks that have blown up worldwide. However, a particular group of people worries about their curly pattern.
You will find that when these people have their hair down, it looks perfectly curly and wavy. But upon lifting it, you notice that their curly top hair section seems to have straighter strands of hair than the curly ones?
As one of the most commonly asked questions only, yes, it is normal to have curly and straight hair on the same head. Read on to find helpful insights on how to navigate this entire situation and give you the best hairstyle alternatives for such hair.
Why is my hair curly underneath but straight at the top?
Many expert hairstylists have given some guidance on this kind of hair condition. Many of them believe it is perfectly normal to have this hair type. You may not realize it, but most individuals have roughly four different hair curl patterns on their heads. They range from loose to tight and wavy to curly, with most of us having all four hair types.
When the curl pattern on your head is a combination of curly and straight, it is thought to be reasonably expected. Some of the reasons behind this unique hair pattern include:
• Individual DNA. It is important to note that the gene that causes frizz is not dominant. It can remain dormant for a while until it becomes active, which will alter the shape of the hair follicles. This affects the new hair that sprouts from it.
• Like lifestyle, heredity, and stress, other variables can affect your hair pattern.
• Your current health status can also have an impact on your hair pattern. For instance, people suffering from thyroid disease may have thin hair that does not curl due to hormonal disruption.
• When hair often comes into physical contact with pillows and other surfaces and materials, it tends to lose its curl pattern on its top layers.
• Excessive sun exposure may result in flattening the top layer and weakening your curly hair.
• The longer your top layer of hair grows, the heavier it becomes, causing it to look straighter.
• It is usual for the top layer of your hair to get more exposure to hair chemicals than the roots. The difference between the amount of product applied on the bottom and top layers could result in the different curl patterns on your hair. This is especially true if you use keratin treatments or other forms of hair bleach to achieve different hairstyles.
What should I do if my hair is straight on top and curly at the bottom?
If you are struggling with a combination of curly and straight hair, you will be happy to know that there are several ways to handle the issue. Some of them include:
Examine your hair in the mirror and determine if you want curly or straight hair. If you prefer curly hair, curl the surface layer to match the texture and pattern of your curls using a curling iron. On the other hand, if you would rather keep your straight hair, keep the top layer and straighten up your curly hair using a high-quality flat iron.
Always use the best and correct hair products.
Ensure you are using sulfate and silicone-free hair products since silicone can weigh down the hair and produce, causing curls to straightening out in type two and three hair.
However, if you prefer using silicone-based hair treatments to improve slides, go for ones that include water-soluble silicones. To this end, they will not result in as much build-up, but it is best to avoid these products altogether.
Sulfate has a similar effect on hair. Like silicone, it causes the hair to dry out quickly. In turn, once the top layer dries up, curly hair can become straight.
c) Use holding gels
Strong holding gels can help keep your curls in place a little longer. In turn, always put a little more on the top hair layer. You can also opt to twirl the curly lock around your finger using the holding gel to ascertain that it will remain curled for a longer duration.
Make use of curl activators and root lifters.
Hair roots are responsible for supporting the entire weight of your hair. So, giving them a boost will result in increased hair volume and more distinct curls.
Similarly, curl activators can help activate and define your curls. So, if you prefer curly hair, we suggest you use curl activators and root lifters to boost the curl pattern in your hair.
Always remember to moisturize.
You will notice that your hair is curlier while wet than when dry. In turn, always moisturize your hair from time to time to keep the moisture on the top hair layer. As a result, this should assist a little in maintaining a curly hair pattern.
Pin your hair while wet
Once your hair is dripping wet, separate the root into small parts and tie it till it dries up. As a result, this technique will give the hair roots a much-needed boost, resulting in more defined curls.
Cut your hair
As your hair becomes longer, it gets a little heavier and weighs your head, making the top layer appear straighter than the root. A haircut is a perfect solution for this problem. In turn, this will cause the hair to lose its weight and regain its curly pattern again.
Another advantage of the haircut is that it will expose the curly hair pattern underneath while concealing the straight top layer of hair. Do not attempt this yourself, as the required haircut is not typical. Instead, discuss the problem with the hairstylist, and he will execute an appropriate cut without damaging the style.
Avoid ponytails at all costs.
Ponytails should be avoided at all costs, according to several skilled hairstylists. This is because wearing a ponytail strains and distorts the front strands of hair, causing the curls to fall out. Keeping your hair away from ponytails helps it to gradually regain its curls.
Is this what is called combination hair, and is there some way to treat this kind of hair?
Just like how we can experience different skin types on other parts of our body, the same goes for our hair. Combination hair is when you have a hybrid of sorts at the top of your head. This term, like combination skin, refers to a mane that has certain oily spots and several dry spots.
People frequently notice their oily roots and their dry and patchy ends when their top hair layer is straight and their roots are curly. Luckily, there are several ways to treat this type of hair. They include:
• Gently cleanse and condition your hair. Make sure that you apply a generous amount of shampoo and conditioner to the roots and the top hair strands and massage your scalp using your fingertips.
• Opt for cleansing and conditioning formulas that are suitable for both dry and oily hair scalps.
• It is best to air-dry your hair or utilize a low-temperature blow dryer. Likewise, remember to hydrate your top hair layer and prevent your roots from becoming too greasy. It is also advisable to brush your hair using natural bristles between shampoos as it aids in moving scalp oil down to your hair shaft.
• Double up on your hair products. Do not underestimate the one-two hands of dry shampoo doused at your roots. In addition, a little shine serum sprayed from the mid-lengths to the ends of your hair is ideal for quick improvement and texture balance. You can also opt to do an ACV (Apple Cider Vinegar) rinse to cleanse your hair.
What are the best hairstyles for people with hair that’s straight on top and curly at the bottom?
There are several hairstyles that people with curly hair at the bottom and straight hair at the top can try. Some of the most common and versatile ones include:
This hairstyle consists of nearly equal lengths in the front and back and covers the face. Depending on your choice and face shape, it is possible to naturally straighten or slightly curl your tips with a bob haircut.
Bob hair is among the least stressful hairdos, according to experienced hairstylists. It is perfect for nearly all face types and suitable for wavy and straight hair. This bob haircut will assist to make your face a bit longer, shorter, or you can add some curls.
For trendy ladies, a pixie cut is an excellent option. This style is also practical, attractive, and appropriate for all hair types. You may choose a chopped pixie hairdo to boost your hair’s form and thickness if you have straight hair that is straight at the top and curly at the bottom. Nowadays, the most fashionable hairstyle is a pixie cut with long or short bangs.
From short to round faces, there are numerous attractive pixie hairstyles to choose from. You may follow all of the fashionable pixie styles and select the most suited one to freshen your class if you think your hair is straight on top and curly on the bottom.
When you claimed your hair was curly at the bottom and straight at the top, you referred to a famous hairdo. This style naturally lifts the hair a little for a pleasant, stylish look. It is a simple do, yet it always draws the women’s attention in crowds.
Curly hair adds soft curls that skillfully embrace different face types to assist ladies in hiding additional physical flaws like an angular face or a huge round face. The C-shaped swoop hairstyle gives off a dewy, young vibe. Curly long hair exudes a delicate beauty that is ideal for mature women.
Now that you know how to deal with curly hair at the bottom and straight at the top, you can develop a hair care routine that is suitable for your hair type. Follow the tips mentioned above, and your hair will regain its regular curl pattern in no time.
Further reading material
I hope that you liked reading this article! If you read this far, I assume you did :). If you want to learn more about curly hair, simply click on one of the links below.
How Do Shampoos And Conditioners For Curly Hair Work
How Come My Hair Doesn’t Stay Straight?
|Why does my hair curl up when wet?